Author : MD TAREQ HASSAN | Updated : 2020/11/05
What is provisioning?
- Provision: the action of providing or supplying something for use
- The activity of obtaining the equipment and resources you need for a particular activity
- In general, provisioning means “providing” or making something available
Provisioning in the context of IT
- The process of setting up IT infrastructure and making them available to users and systems
- Manage access to data and resources
- Provisioning is not the same thing as configuration - once something has been provisioned, the next step is configuration
Provisioning can mean many different types
- Server provisioning: the process of setting up a server to be used in a network based on required resources
- Network provisioning: setting up a network to be accessed by users, servers, containers, and IoT devices, among other things
- User provisioning: a type of identity management that monitors access rights and authorization privileges.
- Service provisioning: set up of a service and managing the data related to it
- and more…
Provisioning in telecommunication
In telecommunication, provisioning involves the process of preparing and equipping a network to allow it to provide new services to its users.