Author : HASSAN MD TAREQ | Updated : 2021/01/19
- Microsoft 365 subscription
- Azure Active Directory
- if you are using Azure, then Active Directory free version is already included
- Azure AD premium -> when you subscribe for “Microsoft 365 business premium” or any enterprise offer
- A Universal Print license is assigned to the M365 tenant by Global Administrator.
- To configure and manage Universal Print, the corresponding administrator must have a Universal Print license assigned.
- To configure and manage Universal Print, an administrator must be assigned either of the following two Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) roles: Printer Administrator or Global Administrator.
- A client device (to install and print from Universal Print) running Windows client OS, version 1903 or beyond.
- Important: “Virtual Machine Administrator Login” role assignment to the user who will login to Azure AD joined VM (this Azure AD joined VM will be using Universal Printers in my case)
To enable Azure AD authentication for your Windows VMs in Azure, you need to ensure your VMs network configuration permits outbound access to the following endpoints over TCP port 443:
VM and OS requiremens
- Device (i.e. Azure VM) should be Azure AD Joined
- VM OS: Window 10 (64-bit) version 1809 or later, Window Server Datacenter 2019 (64 bit) or later
- Universal Print connector host i.e. a VM in Azure cloud
- Host is needed to use existing printer that are not Universal Print compatible
- Universal Print compatible printers can be used without Host
- Universal print connector installer (installed in the Host VM)
- Internet connection
Which subscriptions are eligible?
Universal Print is eligible for following subscriptions:
- Microsoft 365 E3, E5, A3, and A5
- Windows 10 Enterprise E3, E5, A3, and A5
- Microsoft 365 Business Premium (sign up from here: Microsoft 365 business plans)
- Microsoft 365 F3 (needs to contack sales person to get this subscription -> Microsoft 365 enterprise plans)
- Details: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/universal-print/fundamentals/universal-print-preview-access#which-subscriptions-are-eligible
Note: Office 365 subscriptions are not eligible