Author : MD TAREQ HASSAN | Updated : 2020/05/28
Azure DevOps Boards
- Boards within Azure Devops mimic the functionality of Issue & Project Tracking software i.e. Jira
- Azure Boards deliver a suite of Agile tools to support planning and tracking work, code defects, and issues using Kanban and Scrum methods
- Within Boards you can create kanban boards, story items, feature items , backlog items, sprints and query items to query your entire project items
- Boards is the built in agile project planning and management tool
- Work Items is a section within boards to manage, document, assign and prioritise bugs, epics, features, issues, tasks, test cases and user stories for later inclusion on kanban boards and/or sprints
- When you add a user story, bug, task, or feature, you create a work item
Boards present work items as cards and support quick status updates through drag-and-drop. The feature is similar to sticky notes on a physical whiteboard. Use to implement Kanban practices and visualize the flow of work for a team.
Backlogs present work items as lists. A product backlog represents your project plan and a repository of all the information you need to track and share with your team. Portfolio backlogs allow you to group and organize your backlog into a hierarchy. Use to plan, prioritize, and organize work.
Sprint backlogs and taskboards provide a filtered view of work items a team assigned to a specific iteration path, or sprint. From your backlog, you can assign work to an iteration path by using drag-and-drop. You can then view that work in a separate sprint backlog. Use to implement Scrum practices.
Queries are filtered lists of work items based on criteria that you define by using a query editor.
You use queries to support the following tasks:
- Find groups of work items with something in common
- List work items for the purposes of sharing with others or doing bulk updates. Triage a set of items to prioritize or assign
- Create status and trend charts that you then can add to dashboards