What Is Application Gateway?
- Application gateway is a type of firewall that provides application-level control over network traffic
- It is responsible for filtering incoming traffic that contains network application data
- Application gateway is a program that serves as a firewall proxy
- Application gateway usually runs between internet and a private a network to tighten security
- Application Gateway can make routing decisions based on additional attributes of an HTTP request (i.e. URI path or host header)
Azure Application Gateway?
- Azure Application Gateway is a web traffic load balancer that enables to manage traffic to web applications
- A managed layer 7 load-balancing solution (traditional load balancers operate at layer 4)
- Platform-managed, scalable application delivery controller (ADC) as a service
Why To Use Azure Application Gateway?
- Integrated web application firewall (WAF)
- Centralized SSL offload and SSL policy
- End-to-end SSL
- Highly available (SLA 99.95%)
- Support for public, private, and hybrid websites
- Support for cookie-based session affinity