What is Active Directory?
Azure Active Directory
- Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) is Microsoft’s enterprise cloud-based identity and access management (IAM) solution
- Azure AD is the backbone of Microsoft’s cloud IAM:
- Microsoft 365
- Azure portal
- Other SaaS applications
- Azure AD can sync with on-premise Active Directory and provide authentication to other cloud-based systems via OAuth
- Enterprise Single Sign On (SSO)
- OpenID connect integration to applications
- OAuth 2.0 delegated access to resources
- Identity and Access management (IAM) for organizations
Who uses Azure AD?
- IT admins: As an IT admin, you can use Azure AD to control access to your apps and your app resources, based on your business requirements
- App developers: As an app developer, you can use Azure AD as a standards-based approach for adding single sign-on (SSO) to your app, allowing it to work with a user’s pre-existing credentials
- SaaS (Microsoft 365, Dynamics 365 etc.): As a subscriber, you’re already using Azure AD